Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Burrito Pie

I made this last night and it was SO good! It's not a crockpot recipe. I know, I'm shocked too. I had all sorts of leftovers from a lunch & learn at work (where sales reps bring a big office lunch and try to sell you their products) so I used them. If you do this recipe, make sure you do the meat in a huge skillet or wok, because it ends up being a big mixture.

Burrito Pie
(
allrecipes.com)
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 (2 oz) can black olives, sliced
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chili peppers (if you like it more spicy, do 2 cans of this)
  • 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 1 (16 oz) large jar taco sauce (I think medium heat would have been better than the mild sauce I used. That would add more overall flavor)
  • 2 (16 oz) cans refried beans
  • flour tortillas
  • 9 oz shredded Colby cheese (or whatever you have. We like it really cheesy, so I used more cheese than this)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
  3. In a 13x9 casserole dish, line bottom with tortillas. Then spread a thin layer of the meat mixture on top of the tortillas (it looks like it will be too much, but it will fit if you do thin layers). Cover again with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese. (You can rip the tortillas into shapes to fit the pan, or overlap them if you want a thicker layer of tortillas.)
  4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly on top.
Holy cow, it was good. Blake couldn't wait for it to get in the oven so he was dipping chips in the meat mixture while I was spreading it in the pan. I made him leave the kitchen.

This made a ton of food. I froze half of the meal and packaged the rest of it in single meal size tupperware. Guess what I'm having for lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you found a great new recipe for family gatherings

    ReplyDelete