Psalm 90:12
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
This verse irritated me today. And honestly, I do know why. Often I find myself just praying the Lord would take me home to Heaven so I wouldn't have to deal with how irritating Earth is. Mainly, how irritating it is to have to earn a living. Then, God reminds me with these kind of verses that if we are still here on this earth, living and breathing, day by day...then there is a reason. He wants us to find important what He finds important.
Psalms goes on in the same chapter to say:
13 Relent, Lord! How long will it be?
Have compassion on your servants.
14 Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen trouble.
16 May your deeds be shown to your servants,
your splendor to their children.
17 May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.
The Psalmist agrees with me! Verse 13 he says Lord please! Come quickly and fix this life! You're powerful, you can sweep it all away with a stroke of your hand! You're taking too long! But God cannot be rushed (2 Peter 3:8-9). But then he changes his tone. He writes beautifully how the Lord is our satisfaction and our happiness. Even when we are afflicted by life on this earth and trouble and irritations, the Lord is our source of satisfaction, joy and happiness. And he ends with directing our attention back to God, away from our tedious days, and back to the Lord's works.
So I am reminded yet again - it's not about me. It's all for His glory. After all: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, (Colossians 3:23)
Lord, I do pray you teach me to number each of my days, to recognize they are limited and parceled out one by one to us. I pray that I number them in a way that you find valuable, that I fill my days seeking You, that my heart may be filled with your wisdom. Change my attitude, change my motivations. Change my desires for an easy, microwavable life. I submit myself to Your plans for my days. Establish the works of my hands for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment